Monday, September 28, 2015

Week IV: Boston or Busted Knee

I absolutely did not stay up past 8:30 to see the moon get really big and turn red.  I figured there'd be a ton of pictures on the web and that my time would be better spent doing something actually worthwhile...like sleeping.

I leaned in heavily into the rest plan on Monday and didn't run till Tuesday, which is when the trouble began.  Ever since I came back from Afghanistan, my left knee has given me problems.  Nothing major, and there wasn't ever a specific event that hurt my knee, but all the patrolling and gear we wore has made if feel weak ever since.  On my Tuesday afternoon run, I banked hard around a curve and felt it kinda give away.  I rested Wednesday and felt good through most of my run on Thursday, until I all of a sudden didn't.

I haven't run since then and don't plan to try again until tomorrow.  I'm only worried from the standpoint of this becoming a re-occuring issue.  My training pace is still relatively slow, so I'm not concerned about losing ground there.  Rest is the best option.

Week IV:

Training Pace: 7:30 (I was hitting this until the knee gave out)
Long Run: 12 miles didn't happen, put the boy in the stroller and went walking instead.
Music:  Still need to finish the "Bridge of Spies" audiobook, but powered through the NPR podcast Serial.  Really excellent story telling, looking forward to next season's episodes about Bowe Bergdahl.

No comments: