Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Week III: Boston Qual Training

Week 3 presented some interesting learning opportunities, specifically how to gut through some workouts, as well as the importance of rest.  Although the pace goal of 7:40 isn’t that hard, I consistently struggled to maintain that speed.  I discovered that it was directly tied to my lack of proper rest and not listening to my body.  There was at least one morning where I knew that staying in bed was more valuable than lacing up (I’m sure that’ll change as I have to meet faster pace goals).  I also realized the importance of taking all of Monday off, the day after my long run, and doing absolutely nothing.

Crystal and I laughed at how when I was in my early 20’s, ramping up my training levels this quick wouldn’t have been that big a deal.  Clearly, training at 31 is different from 21.  Certainly I wish I still had that body, but I’m enjoying this new training challenge.

Week 3:
-          Goal Pace: 7:40
-          Long Run: 12 miles @ 7:40 pace

-          Music: Five more chapters left in the Bridge of Spies audiobook….the movie has got to be better.  This thing is really dragging out the details.

Fartleks workout (distance)

No comments: