Monday, April 20, 2009

Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint Tri

My first tri of the season was this past Sunday.  On the map, Lake Anna State Park looks like it's just off I-95.  In reality, the park is in East Jesus-Nowhere.  I got there, literally, 15 minutes before the gun went off.  I jumped in my wetsuit and sprinted from packet pick-up, to the timing chip table, to body marking, and to the transition area.  The gun went off as I was getting in the water.

The swim was horrendous (750m).  No surprise.  Water temp was 60 degrees (thank you wetsuit) and I got caught by the wave behind me (the female wave).  Oh well.

The bike was ok (12 miles).  It was a hilly course, but the hills were conducive to high speeds.  I averaged around 19, --eh.

The run, I loved (5k).  It's where I really get my money's worth.  Eleventh fastest overall (6:20 pace).

Final time was 1:18, 77th overall (out of 300-ish).  Not great, but it's the first race of the season and lets not even pretend like I've been training consistently.  All-in-all, a good start to the season and I'm looking forward to more.

party on Wayne, party on Garth

No comments: